Thursday, October 14, 2010

The new job: Part unemployed

Call centres suck.

I lasted the three days of training and then one day on the phones, so, at least I tried? I guess?

...

It was awful. I hated it so much. The training was okay, but the reality of getting on the phones was just too much.

First of all, I couldn't understand a lot of people since we called all over the UK. Some accents are like the equivalent of very old people in the woods of Cape Breton who mostly speak Gaelic. Some of them couldn't understand my accent, some just couldn't hear at all.

Why couldn't they hear? Because, typically, the people who don't have broadband are the people who are very old. About 75% of the calls were to people who were at least 80. They didn't own computers, they didn't know broadband.

Sometimes you talked to people who said the account holder had died, usually the widow. That was terrible. Imagine a telemarketer intruding into your grief. I'd be a million times ruder than these poor people were.

Usually they were old and didn't have computers, so you had to try to sell them computers, too. It was beyond rude.

"I'm too old for computers."
"Ah, you're never too old for computers, sir."
"I said I'm too old!"
"Are you sure? Do you have any children or grandchildren you'd like to keep in touch with?"

The man said no! Respect that and move on. But, you had to keep the people on the phone as long as possible.

Every so often you'd talk to someone young, who had their telephone and broadband with separate companies. That was alright. I had a fantastic conversation with one lady about Canada. She had relatives emigrate a zillion years ago and she liked to keep up with Canadian news because of that. I'm sure I would have been yelled at for wasting time and having a conversation with someone, but I didn't go back the second day, soooo. Whatever.

It got to the point where I was counting down seconds until breaks, then until I could go home. One person quit after listening in on the phones, she hated the cold calling aspect. I gave it the one day and decided I couldn't forget my morals for eight hours every day, which was actually was several people said I'd have to do. So, I quit. A guy quit.

Three people quit by day 1 on the job. We had 12 in our training group, so 1/4 decided they hated it.


Basically, the moral of this story is cold calling old people is awful and I'd rather be unemployed and homeless I guess.

...I am the woman who 200 years ago would be starving in the streets because I couldn't bring myself to become a prostitute and I can read so clearly I'm off the marriage market.

Sigh. :(

Well, I've submitted my CV to loads of agencies, and after I move tomorrow I can direct all of that energy to job hunting. Hopefully it works out.

Of course, it has to work out. I have 1 year and 10 months left on this visa, so going home is not an option.

<3 Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment