Saturday, December 18, 2010

Royal Fail: Part II [and other things]

In a bit of good news, I finally got out of the infinite loop that was Royal Mail's customer service contact page and got some information! Unfortunately, it didn't really help as Royal Mail keeps insisting that my parcel might not be lost. You can't register a complaint until it's gone missing for 15 working days, so I have to tell my parents to keep checking their mail. Le sigh. 

ParcelForce responded to my second, slightly strongly worded e-mail last night. They apologized again, which made me feel guilty. I'm torn, honestly. I'm usually so good with service people. I've worked retail, I know how tough it is to deal with people all the time, especially when those people ask you to do things you can not do. But at the same time, they were carefully chosen gifts that I paid to have delivered in three days! I'm just so frustrated. My mom has told me over and over again not to worry, it's not like they're upset. But I'm upset, which I recognize is due to several factors. I'm homesick, I'm actual sick, and so many other things and this Royal Mail thing is what I've chosen to focus my frustration and annoyance on. "I'm not going to get to be there for Christmas, but there's no excuse for my parcel to not be there," I think angrily every time I go to try to sort this out. 

ParcelForce was nice enough to send me a link to their complaints form. Unfortunately, you can't e-mail it to them. You have to print it off and mail it. So frustrating. I'm so upset with everything mail related that I haven't even gotten my Christmas cards sent off. They're sitting on my dresser, half done. I'll probably just send them after Christmas now. Anyway, I don't even have a printer, but the roommate that does have one is always nice enough to let me use his. If I'm going to file a complaint [and I do want my money back] I have to send it off on Monday. Why? Because they don't accept complaints or give compensation for the way I sent the parcel after two weeks. It's two weeks on Monday. 

Sigh. 

***

In other, miscellaneous news, my Christmas and birthday gifts from home have arrived! I thought they would make me feel better but they've only made me a million times more homesick. I put them on my window ledge. I'm going to Skype with my family on Christmas Day and open the gifts with them. My mom packed some Christmas DVDs, hoping they'd put me in a Christmas mood, but I'm honestly not feeling them. 

I'm spending Christmas alone. My friends have all gone home to their families. My cousin was willing to spend Christmas with me, but I didn't want him to miss out on his yearly tradition of visiting friends up north so I told him I had plans. My grandfather is here, of course, but he's decided that he doesn't want to spend Christmas with me. Which is fine, that's his prerogative. I shouldn't take it personally because he's just like that, but it still stings a bit. Obviously. 

I think I'll make apple pie and just eat the whole thing. There won't be anyone to make me share it! (: 

***

I feel like I probably would be able to pull myself out of this infinitely cranky mood, but I've caught a cold. I just finished a course of antibiotics for an UTI, so I'm really not looking forward to having to get antibiotics for the lung infection I usually get immediately after a cold. I've already calculated it, and if I go no later than next Tuesday for my week's worth of Avelox, it won't interfere with Hogmanay. Four days is usually long enough for the death rattle of bacteria to rear its head, if it does rear its head. It's just super frustrating in the meantime because I've got to overdose on my rescue and regular inhalers. 

I get sick every year around Christmas. Usually a cold, though last year it was a random throat infection that actually migrated into my mouth and made my back gums swell. Just my immune system keeping it fresh, I guess. Everyone used to say it's because I've finished exams and you usually get sick after a stressful time. Well, this year I'm not in university and I still got sick. I think we can all agree now that my yearly December illness is because my body hates me. This year it's decided to double hate me with two illnesses for the price of one. Thanks, immune system!

I read somewhere once that elderly people don't tend to get colds and flues because they gain immunity to tons of different strains over their life time. I really hope this is true. I can't even explain how miserable it is to have asthma and a rhinovirus trash your lungs during Birthday Season. If they were tenants, [I would be rich] they would so lose their damage deposit.

<3 Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment